Thursday, August 11, 2022

Trawling Through The Thrift Stores with Joseph Finn

Happy Thursday, everyone!  Short one this week because frankly, we're just back from my mothers funeral and I'm not properly reset.  But I do have one good thrift store find and one recommendation for y'all.


___________________________________________



Look, my wife quite rightly gave me a look when I picked this up.  But for $13, how could I not pick up all 12 seasons of Murder, She Wrote?  Even if I just scan through episodes for the almost hilariously bizarre array of guest stars this show had.


Seriously, this thing has 63 discs in it.


That's Linda Hamilton a couple of years after The Terminator and Bryan Cranston before, well, anything.


Baby Neil Patrick Harris in 1993!


And remember, George Clooney was on everything for a long time.  I remember he said when ER started that he had been on at least 11 failed sitcom pilots.

___________________________________________

My recommendation for this week is 2013's Locke, an absolute showcase for Tom Hardy.  It's all him in a car, driving down a British motorway as he's dealing with various crises over his car phone, and Hardy is absolutely mesmerizing in it as he juggles issues, some of his own making and some not.  It's written and directed by Steven Knight, who also wrote Dirty Pretty Things and Eastern Promises and wrote a bunch of Peaky Blinders and it's a really, really good and tight 85 minutes.  And it doesn't hurt that it's strangely beautiful for a movie about a guy driving a car.


Locke is available on Kanopy and HBO Max in the US.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment