Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Armchair War Journalist/Historian, Part 2 -- Garbo




Last week I mentioned my ongoing creative history project based in the 1940s and how including material about wartime is necessary. I got a four-DVD set of war "classics" at Goodwill and in the blog I've been including links to the films or the trailers for the ones I find most interesting. 
 
 
"With the Marines in Tarawa":  Ooh, Technicolor!  And jolly martial music, of course. Tarawa, the internet tells me, is an atoll, part of a chain of rocky islands in the Pacific.
 
 
 
 

 
 

"Tunisian Victory"  --I like the opening with the soldier in wire rim glasses reading and eating an apple as he finds out he's going to North Africa.
 
 

 


"Adventures of Tartu," with Robert Donat.  Mr. Chips gets fierce! 
 
 

 


"Flying Blind" (1941) -- One of those films where I learn nothing about the war, but which helps me fill in culture of the time. This could easily be a B picture at the movie theater my fictional character visits in the 1940s.  
 
 

 

Next week: Stuff that's about neither war nor shoddy box sets from the thrift store!

No comments:

Post a Comment