Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Armchair War Journalist/Historian -- Garbo

 



I've got a long-term creative history project going which has a heavy emphasis on the 1940s. And there's really no way to sidestep the Second World War, which affected the lives of millions, here and abroad. So when I came across this bundle of "classics' for $1 per disc for a four-disc set, I bit. I thought people might find it interesting if I dug up a few trailers based on the list on the back of the box. 



The set includes a couple of films from the "Why We Fight" series, starting with the first one, "Prelude to War."




The Library of Congress has a good article on the "Why We Fight" series, and you can find that HERE.




I was pleased to encounter "Report from the Aleutians." Like many people, most of the Second World War campaigns and battles I know are from Western Europe, with a bit about Italy thrown in. But this was true global warfare, and to do an accurate historical survey, I need to know the places in the world where people of the 1040s were taken via newspaper, radio, and newsreels. 




Another film from Capra's "Why We Fight" series: The Battle of China. Since my creative project concentrates on the years 1938 to 1952, this topic is of particular interest to me. The struggles with China would continue after the Second World War, when troops went to Korea. 




Next week: A few more trailers from the box set

No comments:

Post a Comment