Wednesday, December 29, 2021

The Queen's Own Book of the Red Cross -- Garbo


 

Just before Christmas, I was looking online for the short story "Mrs. Miniver Makes a List" to share on the blog and I was unable to find a text version to paste in so I made a video of myself reading the story aloud. 





While I was looking for the story, I found that it had originally been written for a compilation called The Queen's Own Book of the Red Cross, brought out in 1939 by London publisher Hodder and Stoughton, London. The volume was a wartime fundraiser for the Red Cross, to which writers, photographers, artists, and other creatives contributed their work.  Wikipedia has a list of the contributors: 


Artists




Here's some art from the book: 


Dame Oaura Knight "The Hop Pickers"




The book also includes the sheet music for a song called "We'll Remember" by Welsh composer Ivor Novello. I couldn't find a recording of that song, but here's another lovely piece he did for a musical called "Perchance to Dream."










1 comment:

  1. I love the part about Toby's whole childhood being expressed in the gifts Mrs M had given him. Also, the fluctuations in the families economy. This is very true, when I think back... the year my husband gave me fancy jellies and I got him a thrifted wool vest....

    ReplyDelete